We provide a professional structural engineering service to our clients covering a wide range of services for domestic/residential work, commercial, industrial, through to public sector.
We specialise in working on historic structures and have gained considerable experience over the years in producing sympathetic designs and working with traditional materials.
We provide initial feasibility studies and assessments through to detailed design, tendering, site supervision and project management. However, the scope of services we can provide are far broader than this and below is a selection of the services we can provide. The list includes brief descriptions of the services and if you require any further information, then please do not hesitate to contact the office.
- Initial investigation – this includes discussions with our client to establish the required scope of services and information required, including loading requirements. This leads on to gathering information by opening up and examining existing structures and carrying out soil investigation work.
- Feasibility studies – preliminary assessments and calculations to determine if a proposed project is feasible and financially viable from a structural viewpoint.
- Soil investigation – initial trial hole investigation to establish existing ground conditions and enable design of suitable foundations to be undertaken – read more
- Detailed structural design – structural calculations and drawings for simple alterations where beams may be required through to a design of complex structures. Designs are undertaken for alterations, extensions, new buildings, structures such as bridges culverts, towers, masts, and any other form of structure required.
- Foundations – foundations are a very important element in any structure and it is equally important to have knowledge of the ground conditions to enable effective foundation design. There are many forms of foundations including traditional strip footings, pads, rafts, various types of piles and more complex designs.
- Basements – basements add valuable additional space to existing buildings and for new build and require design to retain soils and to prevent ingress of moisture, for which we provide details.
- Retaining walls – retaining walls can be part of a structure, boundary walls, river walls or simply external walls to deal with changes in ground level. Retaining walls need to be properly designed to ensure that they withstand the loads imposed upon them and that measures are taken to deal with ground water. We also carry out assessments of existing retaining walls – read more
- Steelwork design – design of simple steel beams up to complex steel frame structures and space frames. We have invested in state of the art computer software to enable economic designs to be undertaken.
- Timber frame – we undertake timber frame design for any size structure. We have designed a 5 storey timber frame building and many designs, particularly where large areas of glazing are involved present new challenges. Timber frame construction is economical and offers the opportunity for high levels of insulation to be incorporated within the frame for conservation of heat.
- Concrete design – concrete frame structures, flat slabs, basements, groundworks (including ground beams and piles) and all aspects of concrete design can be undertaken.
- Structural alterations – structural design can be undertaken to enable alterations to be made to structures, including removal of walls, loft conversions and remodelling.
- New build – structural design services are offered for the necessary design of elements of structure for compliance with the Building Regulations. This can be extended to full working drawings.
- Loft conversions – converting a loft can add valuable additional accommodation to a property. We have considerable experience in designing loft conversions and we offer a complete design package – read more
- Barn conversions – we carry out structural design for barn conversions starting with initial feasibility studies and structural reports to support planning applications. This is followed with detailed structural design for any necessary repairs, floors, roof structure and stability checks – read more
- Party wall issues – we provide structural support for party wall matters for compliance with the Party Wall Act. This involves studying proposals for works, detailed inspection on-site and producing structural designs to satisfy the requirements of party wall surveyors.
- Temporary works – temporary works designs for contractors for temporary support to structures involving pinning, shoring, support to excavations etc.